Thursday, August 7, 2008

Ladies of the Lobby

Greetings, from a place in our life where we treasure your friendship more than ever. This past week we experienced the loss of Harry's father, Big Harry. Big H age 80, passed away due to complications with colon cancer surgery. We appreciate all your prayers and words of encouragement. We will devote a blog to him in time, when the pain and emotional turmoil is not so close to the surface.

This week Harry and I were in Texas for our denomination's assembly. What a blessing to be near our friends and church family. The fostering of old friendships and the beginnings of new ones is comforting beyond words.

A few days before each assembly our Chaplain's commission meets with the various Chaplains to discuss, train, counsel, and just love on us. It's during this amazing time of fellowship I met the "Ladies of the Lobby". After a day full of events several of us women would meet in the lobby to discuss life in general. Conversations ranged from military life, kids, spoiled grand kids, overworking husbands, parents, chaplaincy, parishioners, anything and everything was fair game. And I mean anything! The difficulties of life were brought to light and then by the end of the night (and some were late nights) made comical.

These astounding women have 20 - 30+ years in the ministry. Their wisdom and knowledge is beyond measure. Of course I being the youngest and newest member of the group had little to offer but frustrations and concerns. Yet they listened.

You see the ladies were given the name "The Ladies of the Lobby" after the men began teasing us of our late night adventures in the lobby of the hotel. We laughed at the label, but it was not until Harry and I were on the plane leaving did I realize what an enduring term "Ladies of the Lobby" actually implies. Yes, these women are ladies in every sense of the word. Classy, sophisticated, hilariously refined women of God.

But the significance of the term lobby is what really defines these women. According to Webster's Thesaurus, Lobby (SYN) is the foyer, entry, entrance, reception area, vestibule, passageway, or entryway. These women were there to ease me into my entryway. Into our new way of life. A new season in our ministry. These wonderful women with years of military chaplaincy experience were my vestibule. My passage into the building representing what God has in store for both Harry and I. They were there waiting with me in my reception area. As I am hesitant to proceed further with paralyzing fear. The ladies of the lobby were in essence there to help my passage between the outer door into the interior of a building. They are my shepherds into a military ministry life filled with uncertainty. Shepherding me with my insecurities and doubts (outer door) into a life God has ordained (interior building) for Harry and I.

These women were also my lobbyist. Lobbying for me to make it. To be a success in the ministry for the Glory of the Father. Lobbying that regardless of our blunders Harry and I can make a positive difference in the lives God sets before us. Lobbying for me to make, actually make the steps necessary for the guided path before me.


These women, like Jesus were there to help usher in the new season. Jesus is there to walk you through the vestibule and into the storehouse of God. Holding your hand and guiding you step by step. Guiding you through the passageway of self serving and into service for the Kingdom.


This is my commandment,
That ye love one another,
as I have loved you.
Greater love hath no man than this,
that a man lay down his life
for his friends.
John 15:12-13 (KJV)



These women will be my friends in Christ for years to come and I thank God for the opportunity of meeting their acquaintance years ago and the new ones I met this past week. Everyone needs someone in their life such as these "Ladies of the Lobby". Ladies that are for you and not against you. Only wanting and praying for your success and not your demise. Real friendship. Sincere love developed from a common bond. Loving God. Serving God. Placing your life in His hands.


Teresa, Wanda, Tammy, Charlotte, and my Trish, you have a special place in my heart. I thank God for the opportunity to have met you, shared invaluable memories with you, and felt the friendship of such Godly "Ladies of the Lobby". It is a title I will gladly carry. See you next assembly.

Blessings until next time,
Kristie

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online