Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A foreign Language

Greetings,

So I have a few foreign languages under my belt. 

French throughout my 3rd - 6th grades.

Spanish 8th -12th grades. 

Spanish again in college for a year.

Italian 3 years in college.

Russian for a semester or 2 coupled with several months of the year staying in Ukraine helping with foreign missions.

Over 2 years living in Greece... although Greek was my least desirable and for some crazy reason ... I took NO formal classes, but of course picked up conversational Greek.  Self taught until verb conjugation... then I realized I needed a little professional help.



Now...

Living back stateside, I assumed ... language conversion would consist of normal English.

I was wrong.

I am learning a new language.

The language of construction and home builders.

They speak their own language.

I am trying to buy a new front door.

When I am asked what size door I have.... I reply, "a normal one?"  then I am asked the height, width, jamb (all words I recognize) but then these foreign words come out ... and I feel like I am in a foreign country trying to buy something, but not sure what the word is in that particular language.

FYI a 85 inch high door is NOT normal.  A 7.5 inch door jamb is NOT normal.  Custom they call it.  And custom is $$$er than a "normal" door.

I need a new bathtub faucet.

Off to that foreign land called Home Depot.

So I point and try to explain using the words I do know.

Like... "sir I need the drain thingy that goes behind the bathtub"

"What kind of bathtub do you have?" (easy question right)

"Well the above ground claw foot iron kind, but it does not have the claw feet....?..."

"What kind of faucet do you have?" the Home Depot guy asks.

"One that attaches to the tub"

"Single hole, 2 hole... what is the width of the holes?"

"Does it wall mount, top mount... do you need a shower component...?"


I am confused.... I do not know what he is talking about.  And this is just one encounter.... I have several of these a week.

Home Depot is like a foreign country.  I am fascinated by this new culture of people.  I want to learn their language.  I want to mingle with the locals.

I have my home work cut out for me.

I tried to buy a garage door opener... did you know there are numerous kinds and styles to choose from.  Chain, belt,  screw drive, or computer controlled?  How many hp's?   Speed?  Safety mechanisms?  Security devices?

  
These are just a few of the MANY examples I am having lately. 

I have extended my vocabulary immensely. 


Blessings,

Photobucket

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online