Monday, July 26, 2010

Lightening

Greetings,


Okay... so this is the closet I have ever been to lightening....

Kim and I (our neighbor Paul's ((from Greece)) wife... she came to visit us for the week) were taking Miss Peabody for her nightly stroll / bathroom break.

When we started the walk we heard some low rumblings from a quite a distance away.  we are both from Florida... we know what a thunderstorm sounds like.  We know how to gauge the distance of an oncoming storm.  For Floridians... this is just who we are.  When you grow up around daily thunderstorms... you just know these things.

So off we venture around the block... mind you this is at about 10:30 at night.  Round the block / blocks we go... around the bend and by the river.  it makes for a very nice walk.

We are quite enjoying ourselves.  Nice breeze... a little humid... fresh smell of oncoming rain in the air... great conversation.

Just before we turn the street ... unto our street... we see a flash of lightening that sears our retinas.  It was like the lightening was lingering above us.  It lite up the sky and just seemed to stay there.  that, or we were just awe struck.

We unanimously decide to head home.

As we are 1 block from home.  We are on our street... just a few houses away.

Simultaneously a piercing strike of lightening and a jolt of thunder that rocked your very core feels like it hit us.

Literally, I thought it had got me.

Before I can even process this thought... Miss Peabody, which is on the lash that I am holding... is startled with a jump and runs as fast as her little short legs will take her.  I... in a temporary cast.... have no choice but to be dragged / run with Miss P.

Fortunately, Kim catches up with us just as we are climbing the steps to our house.  Crazy how Miss P went straight to our house.  At the point I thought the lightening got us... I would have went unto anyone's porch.

Once inside ... the electricity goes out.  Feels like Greece a little.

Rushing around to find candles... I realize that the thunder and lightening were together.  You know that ole saying count how many seconds were between the lightening strike and the role of thunder and you will know how far away it is in miles.

Well, this one almost got us.

Seriously... I think this is the closest I have ever been to the zero second timing.

Definitely need to count one off on the "Lives left" list.


And FYI... lightening can strike you up to 10 miles away... I did not know that!


Blessings,

Photobucket

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online