Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Senior Attire?

Greetings from somewhere in south England,

Today I have been so many places I would not know where to start. Oh yeah, I will start with the fact that I drove today... everywhere along the south of England.... in the rental car... and made it back safely... much to Harry's doubt. The car is safe and in 1 piece. I had no problems navigating myself!



I know God does not like arrogance so I will stop now. I would not want tomorrows pictures to be of a scratched and dented rental.


I stopped at so many places along my day tour. I knew Harry had a late night session and was not wrapped up until 9 p.m..... so I took my time. And tried to visit some sites that would not interest Harry.

I have so many places of interest... however, I will not bore you with all. I did stubble across, merely by accident, Arundel Castle. I was stuck in traffic, which the Brits call in que. I call it a pain. And big semi's are called lorries. And I call it "Get out of the Way" truck. The weather was horrible which caused several accidents. Luckily, just fender benders... I saw them eventually beside the road. Nonetheless, I was tired from driving... left the hotel at 10 am and arrived back at 7 pm... so I stopped just to stretch my legs a bit.




Arundel Castle




Off their version of a Interstate was this quaint little village town of Arundel. It lies at the foothills of one of the most spectacular castles in England. Great families of England were housed here in Arundel. Notable which, the Howard's of Norfolk... I told you I was mildly obsessed with the wives of Henry VIII. the town and castle are sort of a hidden gem. The travel books tend to over look the beauty and tranquility of Arundel. The Arundel River port was a prosperous and considerable trade for commerce during its prime. The castle received worldwide exposure when chosen as the backdrop for The Madness of King George film. Arundel was pretending to be Windsor Castle for the film.

The castle is simply stunning. It has been remodeled several times. During the civil war, Cromwell's troops stormed its walls destroying much of the castle luster. Extensive renovations occurred during the Victorian era and has continued on today.

Just across the castle was the Arundel Bowling Greenes. While taking pictures of the castle I heard such a clatter of noise. Just on the other side were several Brits playing a game that closely resembled bowling. Yet, they were outside, on the lawn, and dressed all in white.







Arundel Bowling Greenes

I stopped to watch as these Brits were really having a sporting good time. It was sprinkling and misting a little, but they were having a blast. And hey were wearing all white. It's a good thing they were not running and sliding like we do in the US bowling alleys. It would have been awful for those white pants.

There were several lanes and people at each end of the field. Both ends were cheering on the others with so much enthusiasm. I wish I had taken a short video so you could hear how they were caring on.

The entire event was quite comical. It made me wonder what Harry and I will do when we are senior citizens. What will we do when we "retire"? Where will we live? Will we continue with some form of ministry? Will we be physically able to play sport?

Will we have to where the dreaded white pants of the elderly? Or will we still have style?

Blessings until next time,

Kristie

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online