Thursday, January 1, 2009

Cow Food for the New Year

"Hey Ya'll"


...a southern greeting. Since I am home for the New Year's holiday I was able to partake in one of our New Year rituals. Or traditions. My family, along with most of the Southeast US, eat black eye peas and some sort of greens to ring in the new year.









I was not sure where the tradition came from ... so of course I inquire into it's origins. I questioned my family.

From their understanding consuming black eyed peas, which are in the shape of small coins and when you soak them overnight .... swell, bring luck and prosperity for the upcoming year. Greens or turnips or collards or cabbage symbolize "greenbacks" money.

So our New Year's lunch menu consisted of black eyed peas, collard greens, pork chop, corn bread, and ice tea. I had to replace the tea with Diet Mountain Dew... hope there are no repercussions for the substitution.

So okay... I now know why we eat it and what the food represents, but WHERE did this tradition come from? Getting a vague response decided to ask Google. What did we do before Google? Or Ask Jeeves?

Folklore and others believe this lucky meal began during the Civil War. Northern soldiers would raid Southern farms and butcher the animals. What the soldiers did not eat themselves they would destroy. Leaving only the “cow food” behind. That “cow food” was black-eyed peas and it saved the southerners from starvation. Therefore, making black eyed peas and ham hock's a traditional meal. One that saved their lives .





Whether tradition ... or in hopes of gaining prosperity and money ...our family readily devours our share. Even a second helping at times. Others have their own traditions... the Dutch eat doughnuts. The round sugary treat symbolizes "coming full circle," completing a year's cycle. I think I like the Dutch tradition better. Would Krispy Kreme suffice? Considering our many incidents of 2008... maybe we should have had a doughnut for dessert.

Blessings to those coming full circle,

Kristie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you substituted tea with Mt. Dew... That is just not southern at all :) I am glad you were able to spend the holidays with the family!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online