Friday, January 23, 2009

My Wailing Wall

It is thought by Jews to be the most sacred of places, because the temple itself was the place where God resides on earth. Praying at the Wailing Wall signifies being in the presence of the Divine. Jews from all countries, and as well as tourists of other religious backgrounds, come to pray at the wall, where it is said one immediately has the “ear of God.”




Several weeks ago...I received a birthday greeting email. My friend writes.....

"Enjoy your personal special day! Do something nice or fun for yourself instead of trying to save the world or decoding and deciphering what God is trying to show or teach you."

.... I was thankful for the birthday message. But soon afterwards.... I felt a worrisome. This salutation is coming from a friend who follows "our guided steps". Have I portrayed our guided steps walk in a bad light? Do they feel that I in trying to save the world and decoding what God is trying to teach me is not a nice or fun venture?

I began to wonder how I describe our walk in our blog... I am describing my walk negatively? How do our friends and family perceive the words I have written? Do my thoughts have a negative or positive impact? Does my written conscious wrongly depict our faith in God?

To be honest.....I have both good days and bad. It's just life.

In my everyday life.... I have moments where my attitude is that of an excited toddler going to Disney World eating ice cream and riding rides until I'm dizzy. And others where I want to stay home in pajamas all day.

In my Christian walk... there are days when I want to praise God for all my blessings.... and then there are days my reflections are not so upbeat. It is just the normal ups and downs of a normal couple. I think?




The wall is the only remaining structure of the ancient Temple of Jerusalem. Inside the courtyard King Solomon's glorious temple once stood. The temple was destroyed and rebuilt several times until only part of the western wall remained. This wall just outside of the Temple Mount is considered to be Judaism holiest site.



( Harry and Jerry at the wall)




(Trish and I on the women's sector)


Jews come to the Wall to praise God and to mourn the loss and destruction of the temple. Jews come to the wall from all over the world. Many write prayers and messages on paper and stick them between the cracks. At the wall you can hear some of them wailing or crying for the loss of their great temple. This is why the wall became known as "the Wailing Wall."



I have come to think of Our Guided Steps blog as "my wailing wall". It is a place where I come to express my praise for the multitude of blessings God has poured upon our lives. And it is the place where I come to communicate and mourn the brokenness of our lives. The good, bad, and ugly. Our disappointments. Our encouragements. Our frustrations and our laughter.

It's my wailing wall. The place where I write down on tiny slivers of virtual paper and stick it in the wall. My concerns. My aggravations. All of it. My wall is where I become transparent not only to God, but to you as well. It's my little spot... in hopes of capturing the "ear of God".

It's where I place my feelings.... from anxieties to adulations in front of you all. Why? I guess to show what life is like for a struggling, striving, trying to survive Christian couple God has called into ministry. We love the ministry God has called us to be a part of.

Not all days are good. Not all days are rays of sunshine. Neither are all days doom and gloom. Although, I do tend to be a little dramatic at times. (The whole toilet paper not going down the toilet is BAD on any day!) So through this blog I live day-by-day. The daily weekly ups and downs. But the big picture. The ministry. That has never been a disappointment. I am thankfully grateful for what God has allowed Harry and I to experience. Grateful for every minute.

I have learned to appreciate the peaks and valleys of our guided steps. The ebb and flow of emotions as we wade through the muck. Sure there are times we struggle more than others, but that's where we find ourselves fully relying on God for His wisdom and His guidance. That's where He builds our character. It's our formative years. Where He molds and shapes us to be more like Him. It's where He shows us that He IS God.

If my portrayal of the work He has called us to do has been seen in a negative light.... then I apologize profusely. I would not change a single thing if it means missing out on or not seeing His wonderful works. How lives have been touched by His hand. Lives changed for the glory of His Kingdom.

So, as you continue to follow Our Guided Steps and will walk with us as I try to save the world. And continue to figure out what God is trying to teach me. Good bad or indifferent..... Know that I consider this space my wailing wall.... my virtual journal so to speak. The place where I verbalize and vocalize my praises. Where I express....sometimes in vivid detail my concerns. But all with a thankful heart.



"Be anxious for nothing,

but in everything by prayer and supplication,

with thanksgiving,

let your requests be made known to God;"

Philippians 4:6 (NKJV)





Blessings to those who need a wailing wall,

Kristie


No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online