Sunday, August 9, 2009

Falasarna, Crete

Greetings,


Yesterday, Harry and I traveled to the far side of the island.



Falasarna and the beaches along the far west end of Crete are peaceful and beautiful, there are just a few simple tavernas and hardly any thing to do but walk, walk and absorb the wild beauty of the place. The beaches are wide, sandy and seem endless. In the hills behind the beaches you find the ruins of the ancient city and harbor of Falasarna.

The ancient city of Falasarna is being excavated. The excavations have exposed some of the walls and buildings of the city. The geographical shift (rise) of Crete has put the ancient harbor on dry land. Falasarna was a commercial naval power during the Hellenistic period and also the harbor of Polirinia. An interesting throne, carved out of rock, is on the dirt track as you enter the ancient city.








It was quite an interesting adventure.... Harry driving over treacherous terrain and wanting to turn around... while I preferred to press on to find more ruins. I lost. We turned around.


And went to the nearest Taverna... Harry won again.

Next time I will drive.

After we had a bite to eat we headed out to the beach for a few rays...



He is so happy when he has a full belly.



.. then the wind picked up. I have never been in a wind storm and not really sure if this classifies as a wind storm... but we were sand blasted.



Here's Harry being pelted with tiny sand missiles. Notice the picture how the ground looks blurry... it is not my lack of photography skills.... it's the blowing sand.




I literally and physically know what that term means now. Sand in every crevasse of everything. The crooks of your arms, in your hair, eyes, ears, nose if you were breathing in at the time... everywhere.


Needless to say... we stayed about an hour then decided to pack it in.




On the drive home we stopped at the port... and I found what ship I want to take my cruise on....




Seriously... it is so 007 Bond looking. I was trying to take a closer look, really I wanted to a tour on and in the boat, but Harry was my killjoy again. Something about protected diplomats and something about it being against the law to even take their photos. Like I said killjoy.


Blessings to those enjoying a nice ride,

Kristie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice hat!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online