Monday, May 4, 2009

Beach etiquette

Greetings,

Just before I left Greece... the tourist season had started. What is usually a quiet little beach town in the winter.... turns into a furious madhouse of transplants in the summer.

The airport, which in winter houses lazy cats sleeping throughout the terminal, now has hundreds of overly sun burnt / tanned Scandinavians with very white hair. I stand in the check-in line and realize that my 5 foot 8 inch stature is minuscule in between these seemingly giants. But what a bunch of gorgeous people. Blue eyed, blond haired beauts.... but man they do not tan well.

Our island of Crete, which is said to occupy 800,000 people per winter, swells to 6 million in the summer. Not completely sure if these figures are accurate, but it's not like I actually counting. Regardless... I know for a fact our little section of the island gets crowded.


It took several beach trips to familiarize myself with European etiquette. For those of you not familiar with European beach etiquette... well, there is none.


Babies naked.

Toddlers naked.

Kids clothing optional... up until the age of about 10.

Adults-

Women- tops optional.

Men- wear Speedos.


Toilet usage.... where ever available.


Seriously.... you never know what adventure you are going to have. Last summer while my 12 cousin was visiting for the month she commented on this strange behavior from the locals. I had to remind her we were the outsiders and this WAS normal, but everyone in our party must remain fully clothed in swimming trunks at ALL times.


But here is Blue Beach, a 2 minute drive from our doorstep. No clue how long of a walk because I would never lug all that beach gear that far.





And Kalithas beach, about a 7 minute drive from the house... where if I ever go missing on Crete this is where it will happen. Along the winding curves of what the Greeks call this road. I will take a picture of their idea of guardrails.... or lack there of. One side of the road is a steep cliff and the other a 20+ ft drop to the rocky sea.




But it is absolutely gorgeous this time of year. Harry and Kayne are enjoying it without me. It's okay... I am headed to Atlanta next week and will visit my long lost paradise... Neiman Marcus.


Blessings to those in their own little oasis,

Kristie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was quite the experience our first time on Euro beaches!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online