Monday, September 14, 2009

Alleyways

Greetings,


I thought I would take the time to introduce you to our neck of the woods...

Chania, Crete, Greece.



Chania is the second largest city in Crete.




Recently, I found out something interesting about our city. Well.. I guess I find out something new just about every time I am downtown, but this time I realized the smallest details have huge impacts.

I was resting on a very warm day, actually hiding from the sun in an alleyway. From my spot on the ground I pulled out the camera and began to notice the various time periods of the buildings. From where I was sitting you could see remnants from the old Venetian harbor, relics of the Ottoman Turks, and even the new modern Grecian styles.



What I found truly interesting... was this alleyway.

Here on one side of the alley the buildings have gorgeous windows overlooking the street. And directly across the homes have a beautiful balcony overlooking the street below.



The difference....

the Ottoman Turks, who are Muslim, built balconies to hide their women from the occupants of the street below.

While the Venetians enjoyed the direct access to the view below.





You just never know the stories a tiny alleyway could tell.

Blessings to those enjoying a little history,

Kristie

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online