Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I have arrived...

Greetings,


I arrived safe and sound yesterday.... 39 hour journey. No passenger problems... just delays with the weather. A lot of waiting in the various airports..... Athens had a 2 hour wait. JFK had a 2+ weather delay.... for those of you not familiar with New York's JFK airport.....the airport does not have a USO. So with your military i.d. card we are allowed in the Delta Crown room. Quite a treat when you are jet lagged, delayed, only have a Greek mobile phone, hungry, and need a place to just sit and catch your breath.


On the JFK runway for 2+ hours... arriving in Atlanta 2 hours past the last departure to anywhere in north Florida. Looks like I will be staying overnight in Atlanta, but so will thousands others. I forgot what Atlanta was like during weather complications.


Up early... to sit and wait for a few more hours. Late arriving aircraft equals late departure for passenger. But none-the-less I arrived. Only to sit a little while longer....


My parents retrieved me from the airport.... in their newly purchased RV. We are so country. And Southern. Most people do not buy a RV the week after being life flighted to the nearest hospital for mini strokes. But that's my dad.


From the airport we head off to the hospital for my dads pacemaker surgery. Where...yelp you guessed it....we sat and sat and sat for what seemed like forever.


More sitting and waiting. I've done this a few times for the past 2 days.... Yet this time I was uncomfortable.... and not because my backside had become accustomed to the position, but because my dad WAS having a pacemaker put in.


Seems his heart beats at about 50 beats per minute and that is well below the average. So I guess he needs a little stimulation. A little jump start. the way I have been dragging I think I may inquire into one.


But many hours later..... and a new pacemaker with the scars to prove it...he was sent to his own room for overnight meds and recovery. He had a little bit of concern etched into the lines of his face as the pacemaker was "adjusting" itself. Seems my dad's heart has a hard time getting used to a normal rhythm of 80 beats per minute. Kind of takes his breath away.


My dad is the most energetic 54 year-old I know. It's going to be interesting to see him with a normal functioning heart. Kind of like daddy on speed. Watch out honey-do list daddy will be back soon. His co-workers were teasing him at the hospital last night.... wondering if he will come out of the hospital resembling the Energizer Bunny.


Man I hope so....anything is better than what we have seen these past 2 months. It's hard to imagine your parents aging. Even hard to witness it.



Blessings to those with amazing parents like mine,

Kristie

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online