Thursday, December 18, 2008

O Little Town of Bethlehem

Seasons Greetings,

As Christians, this holiday season is centered on the birth of our Savior.

Christ's birth in Bethlehem.

Several summers ago...we had the opportunity to visit the Holy Land. Without a pre-canned itinerary.... we kind of winged it. We found a driver we enjoyed and trusted (very important when traveling in Israel without a tour group). We relied on Abraham to guide us around his country.

We were centrally located in Jerusalem. Abraham toured us in and out of the various alleyways to see the sights of the Holy City. On several occasions we were fortunate to traveled outside the city. We traveled north to the Sea of Galilee... over to the Dead Sea to float around a while...then down to the South. All with the geographical knowledge and Mercedes comfort of Abraham .

So when Abraham suggests to us, "Would you like to go to Bethlehem to see where Jesus was born?" Of course we said, "YES!" We trusted Abraham. For days now he had not led us astray. "Yes, we would love to go to the birth sight. The Nativity Grotto. The place in which it all started in divine human form. YES!"

So the next day we began our journey... the journey to see the beginning....


Abraham picked us up from our hotel and we headed out of Jerusalem and towards Bethlehem. Not a far journey, but wow we just had no clue.




Security check point




We pass through the security check point leading in and out of Jerusalem. A little different from the times before. This direction seemed to have more security than other sides of the city. We were accustomed (somewhat) to the daily life in Israel. Everyone carries a gun. A rifle. Everyone. Everywhere. When you walk into a restuarant there are security guards to wand you down. Little kids pass you by on the street with a rifle casually swung over thier shoulder. It took me about 3 days for this to normalize in my mind. People everywhere with guns. Okay. That is normal.

But through this check point I begin to feel a little unease.... I turn to Trish....and I see the concern on her face as well.

And that's when Abraham tells us of the journey we are about it embark upon.

"My friend Johnny.... he is going to meet us and take you on into Bethlehem."

"Okay?"

"I cannot take my car into Bethlehem. I have Hebrew writing on the car and it's best you take Johnny's car."

"Um, Okay?"

"And I am not allowed to travel into the West Bank. So it's best you go with him. You will like him. He has a souvenir shop. Johnny's Souvenir Shop on Manger Street. So you will stop by and rest before you go to the sight. "

"Um, oh, um ... what??"

West Bank? Not sure that is allowed. May have to leave that off the immigration form when entering back into the States.

We were all quiet in the car. Not sure what to say. Not wanting to be the first one to chicken out. Then when we arrive at the West Bank border. And it just kind of happened.
Several Palestinian guys are sitting at these make shift barriers with heavy artillery. Harry would probably not say heavy, but they had guns. A lot of guns. And big guns. Rifles. And they did not look like the Israelis we were accustomed to in Jerusalem. These guys were kind-of rouge looking. Like in the movies. The guys with the Palestinian head dress. That's what was at the concrete barriers staring at us.

I turn to Harry...

"Take a look and remember what I am wearing. So if you make it out of here....you can tell the media what I was last wearing."

To Trish and Jerry... I express my heartfelt longings to see them after this journey. We have survived a "mugging" in Rome. We can do this. Maybe? And Jerry I still feel bad you lost your wallet. Normally it's Harry that is picked pocketed.

I am not sure why we even continued on the journey to Johnny's Souvenir Shop on Manger Street, but we did.
Quite an interesting ride. Our senses were on high alert. We were winding down unfamiliar streets. All of us taking in the scenery. It was different than Israel. These people lived poorer. The West Bank had a different feel.
And I was trying to remember the route in case I had to backtrack on foot.

Fortunately, I did not have to use my "Spidy senses". However, when we arrived at Johnny's Souvenir Shop on Manger Street.... the excitement had not ended.
We did rest a bit. They gave us something to drink....and I needed headache medicine. Which they readily gave. We perused the store. Several marvelous pieces of carved olive wood figurines lined the shelves. They were beautiful. Artistically detailed. When I passed Trish she asked, "Are you going to buy something?"
"Yes", I replied, "I think our life depends on it."
"Me too", she fires back.

When looking at the hand carved manger scenes I settled on my favorite. When the Johnny asks, "Is this the one?"

"Yes", I explain.

"Just one?" he inquires.

"Nope, I'll take three!"
(Merry Christmas momma and Kasey....my life depended on it)


We eventually left Johnny's Souvenir Shop on Manger Street and went to the sight which is believed to be the birthplace of Jesus. Not sure if it is the actual spot...I think it would be hard to really know, but Constantine's mother built a Basilica over the alleged birth sight. Basilica of the Nativity. The Church is one of the oldest continually operating churches in the world.

Quite an interesting place.

The church is maintained by Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, and Armenian Priests. Each have their respective areas within the Basilica.




Basilica of Nativity




Door of Humility



Inside the Basilica





Armenian Chants



Nativity Grotto



My favorite spot was the Armenian sector. The mysteriously hooded men chanted in the most harmonious of sounds. I would just stand there and close my eyes and breath in the incense. Spirituality 101. Standing in the birthplace of Christ. A placed filled with those worshipping His very birth. Amazing.
We enjoyed our experience in Bethlehem. It is one of those never forget moments in your lifetime. One you look back on and laugh. Although it was not very funny at the time.


O little town of Bethlehem,

How still we see thee lie!

Above thy deep and dreamless sleep

The silent stars go by;

Yet in thy dark streets shineth

The everlasting Light;

The hopes and fears of all the years

Are met in thee to-night.


Hopes and fears. Fear for our life.... and hope we make it out of here alive. And every Christmas we are reminded of the town in which Jesus was born and the town in which we almost died .... The Little Town of Bethlehem.


Blessings,

Kristie




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your humor never ceases to leave me cracking up. This was such a joy to read! I hope things are going good for you in the states and your dad is having a speedy recovery.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online