Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Karpoozi

Greetings,

Our Greek neighbors have planted watermelons in the field beside us... it's just on the other side of the vineyard. And last year, I was amazed at the amount of melons that came from this tiny field. It was like the melons kept multiplying on the truck.




The melons are so scrumptious. Sweet and juicy... yum! Last month when the mission team was here, someone commented on our great tasting melons. "Just wait till next month", I explained...."they get even better". And they are.... maybe it's a southern thing, but we here at the Hansen household love watermelons.







When we pay the rent our landlord gives us a watermelon. Many folks bring Harry watermelons at Chapel. When the garbage truck comes to collect our debris each worker helps himself to a watermelon or two, or three, or as many as his arms and back can carry.

I have been tempted to follow Peabody out to the field (she loves it out there.. running in and out of the vines) and gather one myself, but reminds me thieving is wrong. But everyone does it.... and our next door neighbor patch does not have any postings... I mean, how else would the garbage truck and every other company truck that passes by and helps themselves to our delicacies.


But now this patch.... just down the road a bit towards the base has a sign.

I have no clue what it says, but I think I get the drift of the message....

Some thing like:

Stay out of my melons.

or

Enter at your own risk.

or

Beware of ferrous dog.

or

Will shot at will any trespassers.






Will have to have one of my Greek friends translate for me and get back to you on this one.



Blessings to those willing to share,

Kristie


1 comment:

Heinz Kabutz said...

Please do not cut the watermelons! You will get punished severely. (We will make an example of you.)


Having seen some of these farmers, I can imagine tied with a chain to a pick-up truck.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online