Friday, July 17, 2009

Midnight ride

Greetings,


The other night.... don't you love a story that starts like that...

but the night, around midnight, Harry and I head out to the base. You see I am in the long stretch with school... finals week just around the corner. While I am frantically trying to finish off my research papers, I notice the printer is completely out of ink. Normally, I have a few cartridges stashed away... but not today. Just my luck. And the current cartridge is no longer even printing grey... it's completely gone.



Harry, after a midnight phone call needs to run to the base to check on a sailor whose wife has just been sent to the hospital. So off we go to the base around midnight.


Along the way and about 5 minutes from our house.... remember it is totally dark... we live out in the sticks. No street lamps, no other cars in sight, not even a reflector on the road is present.


It is pitch dark.


So along the way and about 5 minutes from the house.... as I sit comfortably and peacefully in the front seat of the car... as Harry drives normally around this corner then the next...



then WAM... out of no where...



I grab the dash... scream at Harry... watch him slam on brakes.... as we almost T-BONE a horse.



Yes.... I said horse. I real life. Fully grown. Dark brown horse. Standing in the middle of the road cross ways in front of us.



As the car skids to a stop inches away from the horse.... he (or maybe a she... I did not have a chance to check) just turns and looks at us. Not spooked, not scared (if only he knew Harry's driving) not out of breath...



just a horse out on a midnight stroll. In the middle of the road.



I made Harry wait while I dug my camera out of my bag.... this was a story no one would believe unless I had a picture.





Here's the horse as Peabody.. oh yeah, Peabody was with us too. We almost lost her when Harry slammed on brakes and she went flying forward. (So much for having your kids safely in a seat belt) But even Peabody was fascinated. She did not even bark at the horse.... just starred in disbelief.









So here is a better photo of our midnight trotter. What is crazy is I have lived here for..um 1 year seven months and 17 days and have NEVER seen this horse. Not sure where he came from ... or was going for that matter.



But he followed us down the street... the faster Harry went, the faster the horse trotted beside us. Then out of no where... he just turned and went back up another street. It was so surreal. As soon as he was out of sight... I looked at Harry and thought this is the weirdest thing I have seen to date here on Crete.



And we have seen some crazy things, but a horse appearing out of no where, then joins us for a little stroll, only to disappear as quickly as he arrived.... just is not something that happens everyday.



Blessings to those out for a stroll,

Kristie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are right- every good story needs pictures for proof

Unknown said...

too funny!! i've never seen a horse on crete either!! miss you guys!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online