Monday, May 3, 2010

Dog walking etiquette

Greetings,

Did you know there is an etiquette for dog walking?

Well, there is. 

I had no idea what all went into dog walking.  For starters, in Greece, I opened the door... and Miss Peabody went outside for the day.  No need to walk her.. she walked herself. 

No need to pick up pooh... it mixed nicely with the 10, 000 sheep pooh pellets on the street.

Stateside is a different story...


For example, when walking your pet in a neighborhood, it is not courteous to allow your dog to walk on people’s front lawns, or urinate on their mail boxes or landscaping. Instead, a more appropriate way to handle your pet is to walk him in the street or on the sidewalk and allow access only to “rough” areas to eliminate.

Should your neighborhood not have such an area, it is still inappropriate to allow your pooch to pee on people’s property… keep him to the strip of grass that’s between the sidewalk and street and steer clear of people’s plantings and posts.

Have an excited dog? Keep in mind that not everyone may be as much of a dog lover as you are. If a passing person wishes to greet your pet, you will be able to tell, as they will approach you and ask if they may pet your dog.

Don’t assume that every man, woman and child wish to pet your pooch as you allow him to drag you over to them and pounce upon them in greeting. Some people are afraid of dogs, or may not be in the mood to be jumped on.

Pick up the poop. Yes, this is a problem to many property owners.

Not only does dog waste cause damage to grass and plants, it also can be a problem if a child is playing in the yard and needs cleaned up after coming into contact with the dog waste. Good dog walking etiquette means picking up the poop after your dog is finished.

This is as simple as taking a plastic grocery bag, turning it inside out and placing your hand inside and using the bag as a plastic glove. Then turn the bag back out and take the bag with you where you can dispose of it properly.


But here in Norfolk, not only is there a dog walking etiquette that applies to dogs, but people as well.

We have a dog park down the street, but it looks like the local meat market for singles.... so Miss P and I stay to the streets by the river. 

I have followed the above guidelines... the picking up pooh one almost killed me.  At first I did not know how to get the pooh in the bag.  That is until I watched someone else do it. 

Seriously?  I threaded my hand through the bag and then what?

You still have to touch pooh even if it is through plastic. 

And it was warm and mushy.  I almost vomited right there!

GROSS!

And then you have to carry it until you get home?  Yuck!  Some one suggested to hand held scooper... but is that any different?  Then you have pooh on the scooper until you get home and wash it.... no thanks.  At least the bag contains the smell.

And what about when your dog fakes you out?  How do you know when she is going #1 or #2?  When Miss P squats... I reach for the plastic bag thingy... only to have her go #1 and I am SO thankful!

Outside of pooh... there are other rules.

Like ... stopping to talk to the neighbors.  It's what they do. 

You let the dog greet and sniff each other... meanwhile the owners conversate about what?  Then they tell you where they live.  And then look at you ... waiting to hear which street is yours...followed by giving them your house number.

Am I supposed to tell a stranger where I live just because we share the common bond of dog walking?


There's more, but I need to reapply a coat of stain in the kitchen....


Blessings,

Photobucket

2 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Eww, the thought of picking up the poop in the bag gags me. I can't handle that so I totally feel you on that one.

Pat Allen said...

Or what about the neighbors that let their dog roam free without any containment system? I'm using Havahart's Radial-Shape Wireless Dog Fence so my dogs don't bother my neighbors.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online