Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Homeward bound...

Greetings,

With inadequate sleep, bags somewhat packed, and a short flight off the island... I am heading  was headed homeward. 

Everything was running smoothly, except the few above mentions items of sleep and bags.  That is until I check in to the Delta ticket counter. 

There I find some not so good news.  Where the agent informs me, "Due to weight and balance you may not make the flight".  I know she is talking of the airplane and not my sudden weight gain, but all the same.... my mouth drops open.   I am diligent about checking the flights to see the best times for a Delta employee non-revenue can travel.  And today looked good.  Obviously past tense.

So I start the cursory ritual of wait and see.  It begins with dragging your bag over with the other non-revs and hanging out.  Discussing what our odds are.... and trying to figure our who is most senior on the rooster (therefore getting the best seat, if any).  Then an hour before departure, we slink on over to the counter and patiently wait until the gate agents give us our tickets or the final word on our fate.  

The wait is agonizing.  It always is.  Will I make it?  Will I get stuck here?  I wonder if that lady will make it?  She's pretty old, surely she is senior (with the company) than Harry.  Wow those folks are traveling heavy... must have olive oil in containers instead of luggage.    Hum, that lady has on a really thick heavy coat... she is definitely not going all the way with me to Florida.  I wonder if it is cold in Florida?  I did not even check.  These are my inner dialogs is I am traveling alone.  With company... I usually have them with a real person.


And then the roll call....

And thankfully, my name is 1 of the 2 called.  Hah, suckers.... Harry was senior... where's my ticket.... I hope it's first class.  Again, inner dialog.  I would never say such mean words aloud... as I have struck up a non-rev...  know you only for an hour ... friendship with a few folks. 

Only I do not have a seat... just a request.  They will know for sure when I reach the gate. 

I head through customs.  Immigration.  Receive my exit stamp in my passport.  Head to the gate.  To start the ritual over. 

Only, this time it ends badly! 
No seat for me (or the other guy either).

Now a new ritual:  back through customs and immigration to retrieve bag and cancel out my stamp.  I did not even know that was possible.  But I have a cancelled stamp now in my passport.  It looks kindof fishy and illegal, but it's real.

Decision time?  Try to bounce all over Europe in hopes of finding a place where I can eventually make a flight across the pond.... or go back to Souda and try again later this week.

Souda wins.

So now I have a few hours to kill in the Athens airport....

what to do?  What to do?



McDonald's wins.  Afterwards I'll head to the bookstore and pick up a few English books from my favorite book store.

So I have flown to Athens for a cheeseburger and a few good books. 

Quite an expensive little burger!  I should have had a milkshake too!  And maybe a hot apple pie!

Blessings,

Kristie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

one of the perks of Athens airport: McDonalds!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online