Saturday, March 7, 2009

Nightingale I'm not...

Florence Nightingale was born into a rich, upper-class, well-connected British family.

Inspired by what she took as a Christian divine calling, experienced first in 1837 at Embley Park and later throughout her life, Florence announced her decision to enter nursing in 1845, despite the intense anger and distress of her family, particularly her mother. In this, she rebelled against the expected role for a woman of her status, which was to become a wife and mother.

Nightingale worked hard to educate herself in the art and science of nursing, in spite of opposition from her family and the restrictive societal code for affluent young English women.

Florence Nightingale's most famous contribution came during the Crimean War.

She cared for people in poverty. In December 1844, she became the leading advocate for improved medical care in the infirmaries were in short supply, hygiene was being neglected, and mass infections were common, many of them fatal. Florence insisted on adequate lighting, diet, hygiene, and activity. “She understood even then that the mind and body worked together, that cleanliness, the predecessor to our clean and sterile techniques of today, was a major barrier to infection, and that it promoted healing”.

The Lady with the Lamp
During the Crimean campaign, Florence Nightingale gained the nickname "The Lady with the Lamp", deriving from a phrase in a report in The Times:

She is a ‘ministering angel’ without any exaggeration in these hospitals, and as her slender form glides quietly along each corridor, every poor fellow's face softens with gratitude at the sight of her. When all the medical officers have retired for the night and silence and darkness have settled down upon those miles of prostrate sick, she may be observed alone, with a little lamp in her hand, making her solitary rounds.

On 13 August 1910, at the age of 90, she died peacefully in her sleep in her room.




Here in the Hansen household... we are desperately seeking a Florence Nightingale. A loving caring person with a heart for nursing.

We are experiencing an outbreak of the Souda crud. The first sounds I hear are of Harry hovered over the toilet bowl. Not a good way to start the morning. I felt okay considering the greeting from Harry, but Harry did not look so good.

His symptoms: nausea, vomiting, fever, sweats, shivers, head ache, and I am sure there were more.

You know how they say opposites attract? Well here is case in point:

When I am sick.... I do NOT want anyone to hover over me as a hover over the toilet bowl asking me what can they do. I do not want soup. I do not want a sopping wet towel (Harry never squeezes it out) draped across my forehead. I do not require attention (unless we are headed to the Emergency room, then I will need a driver **and there have been many of those nights too**) ....just a lot of Nyquil or the European equivalent. I want to sleep through the sickness. I want little to no consciousness as possible. I want to sleep, wake up to take more medicine, and go back to sleep again.

Harry on the other hand! (Remember the opposites thingy) Harry requires a lot of attention. He wants to wet towel. He wants homemade soup. He wants to glass of water. He wants someone to hover over the toilet bowl with him. He wants someone to bring a trash bin beside the bed. He wants you to lie beside him while he shakes and shivers. He wants me, the cat, and the dog to be by his side.

I am all about taking care of your loved ones....but at a distance. A safe, non infecting distance. I am not like Florence Nightingale in regards to sick people. I prefer to be away from sick people. Doctor's offices seem like breeding grounds. Hospitals freak me out. I will not touch a door handle in a hospital. I do not use the toilet facilities in a hospital unless all other options have been extinguished. Then I take extra care to hold my breath, line the toilet with thousands of seat covers, then use my foot to flush. All while thinking of the thousands of infectious diseases I might have contracted.

Yet, while reading of Nightingale... I realized I might be a little like her.... she believed in sanitation. She noticed when hygiene was being neglected mass infections were common, many of them fatal. “She understood even then that the mind and body worked together, that cleanliness, the predecessor to our clean and sterile techniques of today, was a major barrier to infection, and that it promoted healing”. That's what I am talking about.

Again, I believe in the care of your loved ones, but at a hygienic sterile distance. Harry is not one to stay in his infected area. When sick he wants to shift over to my pillow, slide closer on the sofa, use my blanket, and sometimes will even try to drink out of my glass.

This kills me.... I am in a constant state of panic. With Lysol bottle in hand I trail behind him trying to sterile his contaminates . I wash the glassware and bedding in the hottest temperatures possible. Then rewash them. Greece scares me with respect to our non aerated house. (Remember how mold grows.... I can just see the germs growing at a rapid pace) So I open all the windows and doors to make sure we get a good wind to blow out all the possible health hazards.

I really should invest in a good pair of rubber gloves… maybe a mask.

**This is probably another reason we do not have kids, I hear they are nothing but walking infected germ carriers.**

Blessings to those "called" to help the infirmed,

Kristie

2 comments:

Samantha said...

There is a whole Jeff Foxworthy skit about how even the biggest baddest man is SO pitiful when they are sick. Hope Chaps feels better and I hope you don't catch it!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Get well soon Harry!
Your "loving" family

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online