Saturday, March 28, 2009

Weeks End

Greetings,

We have finally come to the end of this hectic week. One that has been both physically and emotionally draining. However, spiritually... it has been the complete opposite. We... Harry and I have felt His presence. We have felt His strong loving arms holding us and NSA Souda Bay.

Harry kept busy. He stayed, cared, and counselled with the Seabees... only leaving them to check on others in different departments.

Thursday, our Seabee left the island. In an emotional procession his fellow Seabees walked him to his departing flight. It was so windy and cold. With the sun shining and the wind whipping these guys followed behind their friend and co-worker. The short walk along the tarmac seemed such a long hard road. One filled with suffering and loss.

As his fellow comrades marched behind him my heart ached for these guys. As they folded the US flag and placed it on top... the breeze of loneliness swept through me. All I could think about was the loneliness of this sailor going back to the country he served. The loneliness of this son son going home to his parents. This husband going home to his wife. This void now only filled with loneliness.

The Memorial service took place on Friday. This was my first and oh how I wish it would be my last. But Harry... well he was amazing. God has truly called him where He wants him. Harry has a way of bringing comfort and start the healing process.

The Chapel along with half the base (I did not get a chance to ask the entire base.... or I am sure they would have helped as well) pitched in to provide an astonishing amount of food for the Public Works department. Our guys and gals set up, cooked, prepared, served, and cleaned up without a second thought.

I saw a spark in our old dry bones. Like I said earlier... Spiritually we were not drained, but renewed. A sense of purpose... a sense of helping others in need. A way to show Christian fellowship and love outside the confines of the Chapel. God's loving embrace had moved from building 53 (the Chapel) to the conference room of Public Works... to the shops of the Seabees where hardhats are required... to the outside around the smoke pit.

And considering the circumstances the week was fulfilling. As we poured ourselves out... we were filling others with a sense of Love. A Sense of Peace. A sense of much needed Hope.

"The King will reply,
‘I tell you the truth,
whatever you did
for one of the least of these brothers of mine,
you did for me.’
Matthew 25:40 (NIV)

Again, I am so thankful for the group we have at NSA Souda Bay and at our Chapel.

Blessings,
Kristie

1 comment:

Samantha said...

I miss you guys! And I'm sorry for whats going on. Wish I could be there! Church just isn't the same.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online