Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Construction team

Along our walk, Peabody and myself, pass by a little construction site. And our (since moved on ...PCS'ed to Washington state) friends old home. Stacey... thank goodness you have moved.... the construction noise is unbearable! But that's her old Periwinkle house in the background.





We have seen the guys with their tractors leveling as best they could. Then they bring what looks like a giant chisel and go to town on the rocks. Once the rocks are broken up they stack them in a pile.

Well for several weeks the piles have just sat there.... I was wondering what for?




Until this past week....



The construction crew, men scattered throughout the front lawn had their own little stations set up. Each guy had his own little station. A guy on a small forklift thingy delivered the larger pieces to a few guys swinging heavy hammers. These guys were breaking the large pieces into smaller ones.... to be carried to some other workers.


Then these guys were intently carving out the blocks that were building the house.


Wow, I was impressed. I mean, my dad builds things all the time. But I have never seen him carve out his own building blocks. I never thought about where the blocks came from before Lowe's or Home Depot delivered them to our doorsteps.


I watched a while as these guys painstakingly chipped and shattered until the perfect block was formed. Then another guy would stack the blocks in a neat pile. With another guy came to retrieve the block, with mud on his shovel, intricately found the perfectly sized block to fit. It was like watching a giant puzzle.






Peabody wanted to explore more, but kept her back. I think I made the guys a little nervous by taking pictures of them. How do you explain to the Greek construction workers that do this sort of thing all the time.... that you find it fascinating. I mean come on.... they were creating their on blocks from a giant rock.


Blessings to those on firm ground,

Kristie


2 comments:

Samantha said...

gives new meaning to the word "recycle"

Anonymous said...

talk about hands on laborers

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online