Thursday, April 30, 2009

Finally Home

I am currently in the state I call home.

Over 10 years ago I left for a more metropolitan destination.

Within the Navy environment people will ask, "Where's home?" And the funny thing is.... you wonder if they are talking about where I physically have a home? Where my last place of residence was located? Where I recently PCSed from? Or where I was born and raised?

The answer can get quite lengthy from anyone with several years in the Navy.

I tried to find Webster's definition of home for a better clarification. The dictionary I found... well looked very old. When I tried flipping the pages, a whole chunk of pages just fell out from the binding. When I looked for the publishing date I found 1991, which in my book is not old, but I guess it has been used a lot.


Flipping through the pages trying to find H, then H O, then H O L. As I ran my fingers down the column of H O M, I came across...


holy... ok, I love to ran across spiritual terms when reading a non-Christian book

Holy Communion.... wow another spiritual reflection as I am trying to find home

Holy Spirit... maybe this has something to do with my search for home


homage.... meaning great respect or honor, which applies to the above 3


home... finally what I have been searching for. home- noun. the place where one resides; a place of origin

I continue down the list.... just curious whats on the rest of the page.....

homeostasis.... state of equilibrium, which is what I find when I come home... fitting


home-spun....something made or spun at home; anything simple and plain..... fitting again


homey.... suggesting the coziness, intimacy, and comforts of home... what I have been longing for these past few weeks in Souda.


homicide... which is what happens when you stay around family too long (just kidding)


homiletic... nature of sermon, which reminds of Harry and our home back in Souda


homily... a sermon, particularly one based on Biblical text, which is how I like to blog.


So for me.... I have a home in Atlanta, PSCed from nowhere... Harry was in the Reserves, but what I call HOME is actually my parents house.

I am home in Florida, where I was born and raised. Not where I currently reside, but my place or origin.


And to tie this random Blog with Biblical text... the Parable of the Lost Sheep comes to mind.


"Then Jesus told them this parable:

"Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Does he not leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, 'Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.'"

Luke 15: 3-6 (NIV)


Why this passage? Because a lot of the time.... when I lose that familiar feeling of home. When my refuge, my safe haven become too distance, I long for home.


When I feel my equilibrium is off, when things are no longer plain and simply home-spun.... I long for home.


When I need the comforts and coziness of family, when I crave the intimacy of those close to me.... I long for home.


When I fell my Spirit drained, when I want to fellowship and be in close communion with my family.... I long for home.


When I feel lost in the open country far from home... when I am tossed over His shoulder as He joyfully brings my home... when He rejoices because I am His... I long for home.


Because home is the closest place here on earth anyone can even remotely love me the way He does.


Blessings to those with a place to call home,

Kristie

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online