Wednesday, April 8, 2009

The Upper Room

Israel 2007


The sun was burning bright in the mid-afternoon sky as we climbed the steps to the Upper Room. We were exhausted, famished, and worn out from our weeks journey around Israel. I do not know why we had chosen to visit the sight of the Last Supper so far down the list... but we had.


We climbed the stairs step after step, not fully realizing the magnitude of what we were about to see.


As we stepped through the tiny entrance marked by a wooden door, I began to grasp the magnitude of where we were.


Odd enough, once inside the door the room seemed to cool several degrees'. All of Israel had sweltering temperatures, but this structure of concrete and plaster was both soothing and cool.


It gave me the respite and time to think about this Holy site.






The archways loomed above head carrying the echoing sounds of our scuffling footsteps...

Jesus walked here.

His footsteps were heard in this very room.

Jesus sat around a table here.

Jesus dinned with His friends here.

Jesus had His Last Supper with His disciplines here.

Jesus had His very last meal before His death right here.

Jesus sung a hymn here before He heading out to the Mount of Olives.

Here. Right Here where I am.






When I read passages referring to the Last Supper or hear messages referencing the Upper Room I will always remember the experience I had that hot summer day in Israel.



There are days when I find myself at wits end.... and I remember The Upper Room. That place of calming peace where I can go to have communion with God. A place where He is waiting to sit and fellowship with me just as He did so many years go with the others He called friends and family. A place where He listens. A place where He understands. A place where He comforts. A place where He loves me. A place where He holds me in His loving embrace.




A place I should go more often.




Blessings,

Kristie

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online