Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Last Can Standing

Greetings,

This past week I popped the top of my favorite beverage. The soothing sounds of a carbonated Diet Mountain Dew can as the pressure is released at the touch of your finger tips. Followed by the refreshing surge of cool caffeine as it penetrates your nerve endings.

That is how I start each and every morning. Harry has his pot of coffee... I have my Diet Mountain Dew.

The photo was taken as I popped the top of the last can in my cabinets. The Last Can standing.

I scoured the pantry looking for hidden cases. I checked the car for forgotten purchases hopefully hiding in the dark back corners of the trunk. Nothing... that was it. The manager of the NEX told me a pallet was coming in next week, but in Greek time that could mean anywhere between 1 week to 8 weeks.





Before stepping foot on this island I partook of about 5-7 cans a day. Not sure if that constitutes an addict, but I believe I might have been well on my way.

I knew I had a problem when a certain event occurred several months before our departure across the Pond...

I was traveling between Florida and Atlanta several times a week.... with my Youth Group activities. While in Florida I would shop and stock up my eBay store. I would shop outlet malls for high-end products and sell them on eBay for a profit. I like to call it Handbag flipping!

I had a routine... when flying in I collected my rental car to head to the outlet malls for work related research. I was eBaying. Harry calls this shopping. I cal lit market research proceeded by a smart investment.

This trip I stopped by the base to grab a few things at the Commissary. . Upon entering I noticed a sale section... I love anything on sale, but this sale had particular interest for me.

Diet Mountain Dew 5 for $10.

I could not pass up such a huge savings…. that and I like to keep an end of the world / famine supply wherever I am currently located.

So I stock up and head to my parents. Youth group that night.... pack up to head back to Atlanta the next morning. I would pre-pack my bags so I fit everything in. All my eBaying purchases.

Wake-up... head back to Destin outlet malls, refuel rental, and head to the airport.

Wheeling in the parking lot at unlawful speed... I am always late.... I park and proceed with the airport ritual.

Spot check car.... check

Collect all belongs.... check

Log mileage for inside counter... check

Pop trunk and grab bags.... check

Double take the back seat.... oh no!

I had left a case of Diet Mountain Dew in the floor board. In my haste of dragging my luggage and newly purchased eBay junk inside my parents house.... I only grabbed 4 of the 5 cases of Diet Mountain Dew. One was still sitting staring back at me.

What was I to do? I could not just leave it there. I was returning the rental... if it had been my car I would have left it until I returned in 3 days, but this was a rental. It would be gone forever. Maybe a nice gift for the car company.

But no.... I just could not walk away. A dropped my bag, unzipped the sides, broke open the case, and began stuffing the cans one by one into the crevasses of my bag.

I have no clue what I was thinking. Or better yet... it was clear I was not thinking.
I ran inside as fast as my 3 inch stilettos would allow.... toss this increasingly heavy bag onto the conveyer.... and run for my flight.

I think it finally dawned on me midflight... I had stuffed $2 worth of Diet Mountain Dew into a bag containing $4000 worth of high-end handbags. I chewed my nails down to the nubs that flight. I paraded down the Atlanta airport in the walk to shame towards baggage claim.

How could I have been so crazy? As the carrousel went round and round... I waited for my bag to appear. The fate of my bag worried me as other bags went by. Finally, I recognized mine. From the distance I tried to spot any spots leaking from the exploding cans. As the bag neared I saw no spots.... I did not smell the familiar smell associated with my favorite beverage.

I was too ashamed to open my bag in public... so I began the walk of shame towards the train. Watching for a trail of liquid seeping from luggage.

Once out of eyes shot I carefully laid the bag on its side (as if that would injure the bag more?) unzipped it carefully and peeked inside. Luckily, not one single can had exploded. I delicately zipped the bag closed and realized.... I had a problem. Diet Mountain Dew was making me do crazy things.

After my fright... I decided to take it easy on the Dew. Then once we moved here to Crete... I really had to take it easy. The base rarely carries the Diet Dew. So when I find it I buy mass quantities, but only allow myself 1 a day, unless I am having an exceptionally stressful day.

Thankfully though.... within the week Diet Dew arrived on the island. And I bought every case on the shelf. Selfish maybe…. but that’s how we survive over here. You find something “New” on the shelf…. You better buy it then because you may never see it again!





Hopefully they will restock the shelves tomorrow and I can make my rounds again.

Blessings to those facing a Mountain,

Kristie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how beauitful you write! You have many gifts and your writting style is just so awesome! It's my moutain dew!

Anonymous said...

I totally understand your need for the Dew. So what in the world am I going to do without Diet Dr. Pepper? I am an addict. I would say I'd try to cut back, but who am I kidding? I can take a Diet Coke or Diet whatever (Diet Mt. Dew is not my thing, so I won't mess with your stock pile!). Just 3 more months for me to figure this out! -Danelle

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online