Sunday, April 26, 2009

Seat request

Saturday morning I woke up early to set off towards Athens to meet Harry and The Barkers.


Me and flights here lately .... well have not been doing so well. Therefore, I know to adjust my attitude before I even pack my bags.



Was I upset when......



I pulled into the Chania parking lot and could not find a parking spot?



when I drug my bag way further than I wanted to?



when I realized I had an expired Pass rider ticket?



when I checked in and was told there were no seats available?



when I was told to check back in 10 minutes before departure?



when I go back I am told to go to the gate?



when I see about 100 people in front of me in the security line?



when I break in front of everyone and pretend not to pay attention to their mean stares?



when I check in at the gate and see the lady frown at m boarding pass?



when my boarding pass does not have a seat assignment located anywhere on it?



when the gate agent ushers me on the bus still without a seat?



when driving up to the airplane and see a small propeller aircraft?



when I know it does not hold more than 50 seat?



when the gate agent speaks to the flight attendant in Greek about me?



when the flight attendant sees my ticket and says, "Stay here"?



when I stay at the back of the aircraft and frantically search for an empty seat somewhere?



when I realize there are actually no seats?



when I think I am going back on the bus to sit for the next flight?



when the flight attendant tells me to wait a few more minutes?



when I realize that a few more minutes will not make one of these passengers evaporate into thin air leaving a seat for me?



when the flight attendant tells me to follow her to the front?



when she trys to tell me I am sitting in the jumpseat?



when I am searching for the flight attendant jumpseat and do not see one?



when she opens the cockpit door?



....

....

...

...

...

...

...



NO!



WHY you ask?



Because my seat is in the COCKPIT JUMPSEAT!!!!







That's right. My seat was in the cockpit. I was so taken back.... to the years in the airline industry.



I recognized the familiar sounds and smells. And it felt like old times. The familiar sound of the stick shaker as it vibrated. The bells and whistles as the chimed during their before start checklist. The familiar rhythm of the checklists. The click of the jumpseat with its 5-point harness.



The familiar sights of the guys flipping switches. The sight of David Clarks as the sat snuggly on the Captain's head.



Watching the guys during flight as the navigated the radio frequencies, set the altimeter as we climbed to 14,000 feet.



Oh and the view. How amazing to view the upcoming Athens from the cockpit windshield. The runway as it suddenly appeared from the clouds. The markers as we landed.



It was an amazing experience.




And Harry was so jealous! So much for bad luck on this flight.


Blessings to those with a good seat,

Kristie


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ATR! Not any prop plane but the ATR!! What fun! I miss those smells, switches, and lights too. All that complaining and you got the best seat in the house not to mention the nostalgic experance and memories of the beloved ATR! I'm supprised you did tie it all togeather at the end of the blog of how the Lord gave you that little gift?
life is great!!

Anonymous said...

No way! How cool is that?

Anonymous said...

Whose the Greek Top Gun on the left?

Linsey said...

Always an adventure with you guys!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online