Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter of 79

1979 ... I think? My mom will only know for sure.


Today we woke up at the crack of dawn.... for Sunrise Service. With the hustle and bustle of our day I took time to remember what it was like so many years ago on Easter morning.






Once we woke from our slumber we ran for the kitchen table.... that's where the Easter Bunny left us our surprises.


Yes we participated in the now viewed upon as Pagan tradition of the Easter Bunny and of course my all time favorite Easter Egg Hunt. I was good at it. I was small, quick, and extremely good at treasure hunts in general.... so I loved trying to find the most eggs and the GOLDEN Egg.... which contained money.


I grew up in a Southern Baptist home going to a Southern Baptist Church.... so for all you folks out there scared for their kids..... I turned out just fine! Well that may be subjective, but egg hunting and Christmas present opening have NOT scarred me in the least.


Okay... off my soap box and back to the nostalgia...



My mom / Easter Bunny would fill our baskets with jelly beans, Peeps, chocolate bunnies, and each year something different like a new outfit, or shoes, or hair bows... whatever she decided that year.


After we feasted on our high fructose delights, church preparations began.


Each year we decked out in our Easter garments. Each year we wore a new Easter dress. An Easter bonnet, a new pair of stockings, our first of the Spring season white shoes..... we are from the South and some things are just not allowed... like white shoes before Easter. And if momma felt the dress required them... she added little gloves.


Yes... we were dressed to the nines for Easter. I will have to see if she has any other pictures to share with you guys... we looked stunning.

All cute as a button , grabbing our half eaten Easter baskets... we headed out the door to church. We had Sunrise Service then... but only the "old" people went. I guess I have turned into one of those now!


Seeings how Harry and I only have Oliver and Peabody... no human kids to add to the fray... I decided to keep with tradition....


And dress up the only willing participate I could...


Miss Peabody.






Peabody went to the beachside Sunrise Service with the Chapel.


She wore her best coat. A grey herringbone with pink wool buttons and a fur collar. She was even allowed to wear her special occasions Coach collar. She had a patent leather pink leash, but she broke it before we even


And most importantly... and least I forget....


She wore her pearls.




Yes, Peabody has a set of pearls. Don't worry.... they are not real. I bought them this past Christmas from Pier One Imports... I have no clue why they had them, but I bought her a pair. And a pair for her BFF canine friend Annie, who sported her pink princess hoody. We really should find something better to do with our time!


Easter Blessings,

Kristie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously? You are too funny!

Kasey said...

Do you know that I searched for an Easter outfit to fit Karter Lawson for 3 weeks? They do not make cute outfits for infant boys. Then I could not find size 10 white shoes to match Kadence's dress. I went to Wal-Mart at 9pm the night before Easter in search of anything at this point. I settled on a pink pair(not what I wanted but it did the job). Momma has created monsters...I was a complete wreck until I had the kids dressed and ready to go to church....I will have to email you some pictures.

Anonymous said...

What was the cost of those pearls?

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online