Thursday, February 19, 2009

fungi multicellular filaments = hyphae

Hyphae better known as MOLD.





That's what we are experiencing this week at the Hansen household… an epidemic of mold.



Well, maybe not that bad, but it is gross. In humid climates such as Crete, if we do not aerate our house mold will grow. This is kind of a Catch-22... We are freezing so we tighten down the hatches and hunker in for winter….yet we are supposed to leave a window open or cracked to ventilate the space, but if we do then the cold air comes rushing in and we freeze.










“Although molds grow on dead organic matter everywhere in nature, their presence is only visible to the unaided eye when mold colonies grow. A mold colony does not comprise discrete organisms, but an interconnected network of hyphae called a mycelium.”


Because our mold is visible to the human eye…. I think we are breeding a colony of mold. And not all mold is black and red.... we have the white and yellow kind too. Kind of like a floral colony of mold. A mold arrangment.





This kind of mold grows underneath the paint. When the "colony" gets too big....it flakes the paint off. This is happening several places around our doors and windows.











“Molds are ubiquitous in nature, and mold spores are a common component of household and workplace dust. However, when mold spores are present in large quantities, they can present a health hazard to humans, potentially causing allergic reactions and respiratory problems.”


This is the reason I called the housing department to report our colonization of mold. Well that and a small list of other items…. About 6. I have never complained to the housing department… in the year we have been here… not once I have even whispered a complaint. Yesterday, I go in with my small, yet growing list.


1. Bathroom light bulb needed changing.
~Yes I know how to change a bulb….but not this bulb. It has melted to the plastic fixture and will need someone to rip it out… I am not sure how to do it without shattering the bulb.


2. Chimney flue will not close.
~And birds have been flying into the house…sending the animals literally in a tail spin.


3. Electrical socket does not work.
~Landlords solution: use another socket.


4. Tub will not drain.
~I have poured “stuff” down the drain, but to no avail. Landlord says, “It’s probably hair.” Well duh, and now we know what it is can we get rid of it!


5. Bedroom heater not working.
~I NEED MY HEAT! Landlord’s response, “Probably needs batteries.” Well why did I not think of that? Surely that was the 1st thing I thought of… I think he thinks I am an idiot. (that’s when I called Harry to come home and deal with the landlord... I think he hates me too)


But before Harry made it home….. I show the landlord the mold.


6. Mold colonies forming in my house.
~Landlord says, “Yeah, open the window.” I look at him and try not to appear annoyed, “How do we get rid of it?” To which he replies, “No it’s okay!”



I am going to ask him for his email so I can send him the article I found about mold.


“Some molds also produce mycotoxins that can pose serious health risks to humans and animals. Exposure to high levels of mycotoxins can lead to neurological problems and in some cases death. Prolonged exposure, e.g. daily workplace exposure, can be particularly harmful.”

Oh, the winter days of Souda Bay.


Blessings to those in a healthy environment,

Kristie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are in agreement with you guys, that colny of mold looks contagious and unhealthy!

Anonymous said...

thats just nasty. I can not believe you have let it grow so much!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to copy this article and pictures on my blog. If you don't, leave comment on my blog. Have a nice day!
http://blog.naver.com/pcl337/150073709978

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online