Thursday, February 25, 2010

T minus Today and a Wake up

Greetings,

Well, we are going on about 30 minutes sleep from last night.  Not sure if it's nerves or the string of disturbing news from yesterday as we leave.

So much goes on here at Souda Bay... but it's not fodder for the blog.  It's a hard base.  It's unaccompanied (except for about 5 military families) isolated (much around) and remote (away from civilization).

When lives are affected... we are like family here... it affects us as well.  So the emotional roller coaster of good-byes coupled with the ending of Harry's ministry here is quite hard.  We have found (unintentionally) distancing ourselves from our friends / Souda family.  Does it make the break easier?  Not sure, but it hurts all the same. 

There are so many friends we have made that it breaks my heart to leave.  It feels like we are leaving in the middle of their lives.  There are still birthdays to attend (and forget ... sorry Gavino.. I will send a cool gift from the states) Easter's to plan, VBS to arrange, and man what about Fall Festival.

I'm not sure how to say good-bye.

Last night was our final / very last time / Chapel service here at Souda Bay.  I almost stayed here in the hotel.  But I went.  Our friends the Barker's (I think our very best friends here) made a video for us.  It makes you cry.  The video consists of the 2 + years of memories.  I think half of them I had forgotten. There are so many good memories to take away from here.   Also, I was reminded how much weight Harry and I have gained. 

I cannot express in words what our Chapel family has meant to us. 

Truly, they became family.  Families disagree, argue, love on each other, support each other, lift each other up, rail on you when you mess up, laugh at your corny jokes, and care for you when it feels others are not, even give hugs when needed  (however, we do not kiss on the lips... inside Chapel joke).

Today will be hard.  Tonight, I have a ladies thingy, which will be hard.  Tomorrow we will have breakfast with friends, which will be the hardest I think.  Luckily, Chanel's new waterproof mascara actually works. 

Leaving Kayne will be the kicker.  He has been with us for 3 years.  Not sure how or when I am saying good-bye to him?  Not sure what I will do in Virginia without him?

Good-byes are like the elephant in the room.  You know they are there.... hovering somewhere in the corner.  You try to not to acknowledge them.... but eventually you must recognize that there is a giant elephant in the room. 

And then there's the whole Vince thingy... did  he really have to kill our stray dog 2 days before we leave?  Seriously?

I think I am sad.

I think I am mad.

I think  I do not want to leave.

I think I want to leave and take many people with me.

I think I will come back to visit in the near future.

I think this feels like pooh.


Blessings,
Photobucket

3 comments:

Tori Bella said...

Awwwww! I know, I know.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt said...

I can't even tell you how much it absolutely SUCKS to see you guys go. And to top that off, I didn't even get to say a real goodbye (STUPID MEETINGS!!!). I thought you guys weren't going to be boarding until 11:30. Probably better that way, though, or I'd be wandering around base all day with tears and snot all over my shirt. Yeah, I know, not a pretty picture - and I feel it coming on now anyways. I love you guys!!! We will be coming through quicker than you know. Here's to a big smooch on the lips!

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online